We like to set ourselves little challenges. We’ve done the “Ingredients Alphabet”, “Around the World” etc. So this time we’re going to jump on the Vegetarian gig and do a “Vegetarian Alphabet”
Aubergine for “A” works.
We;re not into the “Fake Meat” concept so the Urad Dal which we bought from the local Continental shop added the Meaty texture.
Urad Dal – (Split Black Lentils)
½ tube of Tomato Puree
1 Aubergine halved and scooped out. (Save the flesh)
3 Onions, sliced
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper
(1) Add the Tomato Puree to a little water in a saucepan and bring the Urad Dal to the boil. Reduce the heat, season with Salt and Pepper and simmer for a good hour. Add extra water as required as they are very thirsty little dudes.
(2) When the Urad Dal has expanded and softened take them off the heat.
(3) In a frying pan fry the Onions until translucent.
(4) Add the Mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
(5) Cut the Aubergine lengthways, scoop most of the flesh out and Oil.
(6) Place in the oven at 180c and roast for 30 minutes.
(7) Add the Aubergine flesh, Urad Dal and all the other ingredients excluding the grated Cheese and halved Cherry Tomatoes to the frying pan and fry gently stirring occasionally.
(8) Remove the Aubergine halves from the oven and stuff with your filling.
(9) Heat the grill.
(10) Dress with the Cherry Tomatoes and grated Cheese and place under the grill.
(11) When the Cheese has melted you’re good to go.
We served ours with Chips and Peas. It was really very tasty and filling.