We’ve reached “O” in our “Vegetarian Alphabet” and realistically it had to be Onions. They are a staple here in the same way that we always try to have Potatoes in the draw.
We decided to be indecisive and go with a warm buffet sort of gig, with Onion Bhaji, Onion Rings and a Cheese and Onion Pasties.
Onion Bhaji Ingredients:-
2 Onion roughly chopped
100g Gram flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp Ground Cloves
½ tsp Ground Turmeric
Oil to fry
(1) Mix all the ingredients into a stiff batter in a bowl.
(2) Deep fry at 170c until they float and the protruding Onion starts to brown.
(3) Remove and drain on Kitchen Paper.
Cheese and Onion Pastries
340g Plain Flour (Gluten free here)
2 tsp Xanthum Gum
2 tsp cold water
A pinch of Salt
Cooled mashed Potato
Roughly Chopping Onion
You’ll also want a beaten Egg for an Egg wash.
(1) Rub the Margarine and Salt into the Flour to form a crumb texture.
(2) Beat the Eggs and add the Water to them.
(3) Fork the Water and Egg into the Crumb mixture a little at a time.
(4) Use you hands to kneed into a dough.
(5) Set aside in the fridge for an hour wrapping in Cling Film.
(6) Mix the filling ingredients.
(7) Roll out the Pastry and use a small dish to cut circles.
(8) Stuff and crimp your Pasties and brush with an Egg wash, using Egg wash as a glue.
(9) Stab holes in the Pastry to let the steam out.
(10) Place in a preheated over at 180c and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
(11) Remove from the oven and eat hot our preferably allow to cool.
Onion Rings Ingredients:-
1 Large Onion, cut into rings
Self Raising Flour (Gluten free here)
(1) Mix the ingredients to make a sticky batter. Adjust with more Water or Flour for thickness.
(2) Dredge the Onion rings in Flour.
(3) Dunk in the batter and fry in small batches fry until until golden brown.
We served these with a Tomato and Onion dressed salad, an Onion and Gherkin salad and some dips and chips.