We had a whole Chicken with the ever present Yellow Sticker for £2.54 and thought we’d try something a bit different. We had everything in for the marinade apart from the Buttermilk, so this turned out to be a very low cost meal. Well two meals for two of us and bits for Smooh the cat actually.
1 Whole medium Chicken, cut into portions
1 Tsp ground Coriander
1 Tsp ground Cumin
1 Tsp ground Turmeric
1 Tsp ground Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
4 minced Garlic cloves
2 Tbsp minced fresh Ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
½ a small tin of Tomato Puree
2 Tbsp Oil
DIY Garlic Butter
(1) Mix all the marinade ingredients.
(2) If your Chicken is nor portioned, cut through the joints with a shart knife to take the legs and wings off. Now use kitchen scissors to cut the body along one side of the spine and the same side of the keel bone.
(3) In a large bowl stir the marinade around all the Chicken portions, making sure that every area is coated.
(4) Allow the marinade to do it’s thing in the fridge for at least an hour. We have a second batch which has been in the fridge over night.
(5) Foil a grill tray and put the rack over the top.
(6) Pre heat the oven to 180c
(7) Roast uncovered for 20 minutes.
(8) Remove from the over and glaze with the melted Garlic Butter.
(9) Return to the oven for a further 15 to 20 minutes, until the Chicken is well cooked.
We served ours on a bed of Rice with home made Naan Bread, Onion Bhaji, Whole grain Mustard Mayo and a Cabbage & green leaf Salad.