Our latest challenge is to create 100 authentic Asian style dishes. Obviously we could have bought a jar of Black Bean Sauce, but where is the fun in that?!
100g of Fermented Black Beans (These are available in Chinese Supermarkets and are really inexpensive)
80ml of Oil
5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp of fresh Ginger, minced
3 Shallots, finely diced
2 Tbsp of Sugar
2 Tpsp of Shaoxing Rice Wine
2 Tsp of Soy Sauce
¼ Tsp of Five Spice
1 Tsp of Chilli Flakes
(1) Rinse and drain the Beans.
(2) Finely chop 2/3 of the Beans, reserving 1/3 whole.
(3) On a low heat, heat the Oil and add the Shallots, Ginger and Garlic.
(4) Sauté into tender and fragrant.
(5) Add the Fermented Black Beans and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
(6) Pour over the Soy Sauce, Shaoxing Wine, Five Spice, Chilli Flakes and Sugar.
(7) Cook to reduce until the Sauce has thickened.
(8) Cool and transfer to an air tight jar.
This is a very concentrated foundation sauce.